SV Hockey Facts
SAINT VIATOR HOCKEY CLUB SINCE 1972
- Saint Viator High School has proudly fielded Ice Hockey Teams for over 40 years.
- Although classified as a club team, the Saint Viator Hockey Team is fully recognized by the school and players are awarded the same varsity letters and minor letters as all IHSA sports and follow the same school rules.
- The Varsity team currently competes in the strongest leagues in Illinois, The Scholastic Hockey League or SHL.
- The Blackhawk Cup State High School Hockey Championship is played at the United Center, televised on Comcast and attended by 10,000 people. Saint Viator played in this game in 2012 and competed for the state championship in 1979 and 1989 as well.
- There are over 90 high school hockey teams in the state. In each of the past 4 seasons Saint Viator has finish in the top 5.
- Each team Varsity and JV will have 2 or 3 practices a week at the Mount Prospect Ice Arena. Each team will have two off-ice workouts per week in the weight room at Saint Viator.
- The game totals approach 60 games including league games, playoffs, non-conference games, tournaments and showcases.
- Players come from all types of hockey backgrounds and we take great pride in developing them into productive hockey players.
- In each of the past 10 Seasons, Saint Viator players have been selected All-State and have made the Illinois Hockey Showcase Team which represents Illinois at the America’s Hockey Showcase featuring team from over 20 states.
- Since 2012, Saint Viator Varsity hockey has had, 5 Elite 8 in state finishes (2012, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021), 3 state Final Four appearances (2012, 2019, 2021) and 1 state second place finish (2012). In league play the Varsity team has won the Chicago Catholic League Kennedy cup twice (2018, 2019) and has been runner up in the Scholastic Hockey League twice as well (2020, 2021).
- Since 2012, Saint Viator Junior Varsity hockey has had, 5 Elite 8 in state finishes (2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021), 3 state Final Four appearances (2017, 2019, 2020) and 1 State Championship (2019). In league play the Junior Varsity team has won the Chicago Catholic League DiCristina Cup (2019) and has final four in the Scholastic Hockey League twice as well (2020, 2021).
- Junior scouts and college coaches DO attend our games and our coaches are committed to assisting players find opportunities to play hockey beyond high school if that is desired.
- Select games throughout the season are broadcast on highschoolcube.com, the SHL network or the Comcast game of the week.
- Financial Aid is available to players who demonstrate a need for assistance in this area and we follow similar guidelines to the school financial aid policy.
- Playing high school hockey is a very deep and enriching experience. We are proud of our program and we welcome you to it. GO LIONS!
If you have any questions, please contact Tim Benz, Hockey Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or 847-502-4399.